Thursday, April 9, 2009

{single pie crust}

My grandma makes the best pies. Her pies are always so flaky. I'm not a big fan of pies, since it takes FOREVER to make one. But, I always get so many compliments on my pies every single time I make it, so it makes it worthwhile..... sometimes. :)

Ingredients:
1 1/3 c sifted regular flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c Crisco
3 tbsp water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift flour before measuring, combine salt & flour. With a pastry blender, cut in Crisco until uniform; mixture should be fairly course. Sprinkle with water. Work dough into a firm ball with hands. Press dough into a flat circle with smooth edges (make sure flour is under your dough!!).
Amy's Notes:
*I have the hardest time transferring my pie crust over. Just wrap it around your rolling pin and transfer it over.
*I didn't add the baking time to bake this (sorry!), if you're making a cream pie. Most of my pies are apple or pumpkin, so it needs to be a raw dough when you add in the filling. If you do bake it by itself, then use a fork and punch holes throughout the pie so it doesn't bubble up, Then watch it carefully.
*One fun memory I have when my grandma or even my mom made pies. They would always use the leftover dough to make cinnamon crisps for us. LOVE it! So if you have leftovers, sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it and put it in the oven for your kids. :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails