Thursday, April 9, 2009

{green chili chicken enchiladas}

This is the ONLY recipe I know by heart. Sad, isn't it?! It's not spicy at all, and only one kid will eat it (Katie refuses to eat anything Mexican, it seems... except burritos). This is made kind of in layers, so it's more of a casserole type of enchiladas than a rolled enchilada.

Ingredients:
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1 can diced green chili
1 c diced onion
1 big can of chicken
corn tortillas
tons of grated cheese (1-2 bags)
OK... here is where it gets kind of tricky. If you want to make a full 9x13 pan, then double the chicken, green chilis, onion (but keep the cream of soups the same). I usually do a 9x9 pan, or a pan that is still rectangle but slightly smaller than 9x13.
Combine all the soups, chicken, onion (NOTE! I usually saute my onions a little first so it gets the strong "oniony" taste out a bit!!). Layer a thin spread of soup mix on bottom of dish. Layer with tortillas, soup mix, then cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Amy's Notes:
*Sometimes I make this and freeze it, so I have a fast meal on hand.
*I don't always use just cheddar cheese. Sometimes I've used a mixture of mozzarella cheese & cheddar (which is fantastic!), and also the Kraft brand "Mexican" mixture of cheese. That adds a little bit of zing to the taste, I think!!
*and I mentioned the onion. I saute my onions from now on b/c some onions I buy are just SO strong! When I saute them, it takes out the taste a bit.
*I'm too lazy to boil my chicken, then shred it. So, I just get out a can of chicken from my food storage/pantry and cut it open. Easy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails