Saturday, February 20, 2010

....no cook fudge frosting

In our family, we have a traditional birthday cake. I always make a two layer cake.... french vanilla for some, & some sort of chocolate cake for others. The topping is always the same: Better Homes & Garden's No-Cook Fudge Frosting. Every birthday my girls always request this cake & icing. One year I added canned strawberry frosting and piped big circles for Maddie's birthday cake. I remember when I was a teenager, and I wanted to make a chocolate cake. I added way too much hot water, and thought "oh, it's OK". Well, when I went to spread (OK, poured it on) my two layer cake... it went over my cake. Down the side. On the counter. Then on the floor. It.was.a.mess!! My mom came in laughing after shrieking my name a few times! Apparently, I have to add more sugar if I add too much water!

Ingredients
(taken from the Better Homes & Garden cookbook)
4 3/4 c sifted powdered sugar
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c margarine or butter, softened
1/3 c boiling water
1 tsp vanilla


Mix powdered sugar & cocoa. Add margarine, boiling water, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined. Cool for 20-30 minutes or till of spreading consistency. Frosts tops & sides of two 8 or 9 inch cake layers.

Amy's Notes: OK, I don't sift my powdered sugar. And I didn't know there was "sweetened cocoa powder!" I always use butter... and I now make sure my frosting is the right consistency before I frost. Sometimes that means adding more water b/c it's just too thick for me to spread. Don't want to get crumbs on my frosting! AND.. most importantly! Put your bowl in the sink when you mix this up w/ your electric mixer. Otherwise the fudge frosting will fly EVERYWHERE! Better to trap it in the sink than wiping if off the walls.

Warning! Warning! Warning! This recipe is VERY rich! But very delicious! Have milk on hand!

2 comments:

Chiemi said...

YUM!!!! That is SO going on my next cake!

Cheryl D said...

Thank you for posting this! I been making this recipe since the 1960's and lost my recipe card. I have been hunting for it on the internet and all my cookbooks. This is the best frosting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails