Sunday, February 7, 2010

.... crock pot pinto beans

I think I did it!! I found THE recipe for our pinto beans!! I always add too little water (which result in dry beans, or burnt if you are like me...), or not enough flavoring (which turn out to be BLAND beans), or the WRONG flavors....

However, I've been playing around for 13 years people... 13 years trying to find the right combination. I think I found it. So easy, and SO few ingredients!! My husband LOVES pinto beans, so we stock up on pinto beans from the cannery. It's a great CHEAP dinner... and lots of possibilities you can do with beans. Make a "build your own dinner w/ pinto beans", or beans with fried potatoes & cornbread... or... well, that's all that I do, really. Just those two type of dinners.

Anyways, here is what I use:

Ingredients
2 cups dried pinto beans
6 cups of water
1 can of Rotel (you determine spicy level)
3 cut up pieces of bacon
salt


First, measure out your beans, and put it in a colander. Take out all the halved pieces.. and rocks. I would like to know how rocks get in here! Rinse it. Put a liner in your crockpot (it's a MUST for me nowadays!), and dump the rinsed beans inside. Place the water (you can add 8 cups if you want....). Dump the can of rotel, or any off brand of tomatoes with chile's (I also like Aldi's brand!). Cut up the bacon (leave it raw), and dump it inside the crockpot.

Turn it on high and let it cook all day. When it's near the time to eat, taste it, and add salt. I typically have to salt, then taste, then salt some more, and taste again. The bacon & the Rotel gives it a great taste! Now, I did try the HOT Rotel once, and let me tell you, my husband LOVED it, but it was WAY too hot for me & the girls!! So, we stick with the regular Rotel. We're creampuffs......

Maddie & I love our beans over Frito's with sour cream & cheese. Mike & Katie eat the beans as a burrito. We also make "Big Daddies", which are fried flour tortillas and you basically build it up as a tostada. Make sure to add diced pickles at the end for that dinner! Yumm!

1 comment:

Chiemi said...

Oh Amy, I love you! I seriously have a huge bag of beans in my cupboard, but I can never get enough flavor. I am trying these THIS WEEK!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails