Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How to make whipped cream

I have the hardest time remembering how to make whipping cream.  It NEVER turns out right!  Thankfully, I found a good tutorial online ... somewhere... and I tried it out last night when I made my husband's birthday cake.

Cast of Ingredients

16 oz of heavy whipping cream
sugar (start with 2 Tbsp)
vanilla (1 tsp)

First of all, get the mixing bowl you are going to use, and the mixer tool (not the actual mixer, but those ... things!)  and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

After the bowl and beaters are chilled, pour the heavy whipping cream in the bowl, and add the vanilla and sugar.

Whip on medium until soft peaks are formed when you left your mixer.

Taste ... if it needs more sugar, add a little at a time.  **NOTE:  some people add sugar and vanilla at the end .. I added it at the beginning by accident and it still was OK. 

If you want to make chocolate whipping cream, add 3 Tbsp of cocoa powder plus another 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar (taste it as you go). 

Here is a GREAT link for more flavors and whipping cream recipes

Just an FYI:  One cup of whipping cream equals 2 cups of the whipped cream.  For the above recipe, you can always cut in half for a smaller portion!

1 comment:

Stephanie Marie said...

Want to know my super secret super awesome trick to speed this process up? About a teaspoon of jam or jelly per carton of heavy whipping cream. Just throw a dollop in before you whip it. I know it sounds weird. It doesn't really alter the taste or look. The pectin in the jam does something chemically in the cream and bonds everything together 100% quicker. Just be careful to not whip it into butter! I never buy cool whip or redi whip anymore.

Related Posts with Thumbnails